Health and Safety Manager monitors the removal of physical, biological and chemical hazards, and training of employees on safety policies, procedures, and regulations. Verifies compliance with health and safety regulations and ensures all necessary records are maintained and prepared according to established guidelines. Being a Health and Safety Manager manages the participation in Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections, providing inspectors with appropriate documents and identifying safety measures. Ensures projects are completed on time and within budget. Additionally, Health and Safety Manager acts as advisor to health and safety administration team regarding projects, tasks, and operations. Requires a bachelor’s degree. Typically reports to a Manager or Head of a Unit/Department. The Health and Safety Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. To be a Health and Safety Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Health and Safety Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Health and Safety Manager to join our team.
- Developing strategies to promote, implement and embed a pro-active health and safety culture;
- Implementing, enhancing, and maintaining a robust Workplace Health and Safety Management System (WHSMS);
- Enhancing engagement and consultation on WHS practices within the bank;
- Develop and oversee education and compliance programs for employees, clients, contractors and visitors in your area;
- Provide specialist support to internal stakeholders including operational leaders, project employees, contractors, clients and visitors;
- Maintain comprehensive safety records and monitor safety performance progress;
- Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures;
- Develop and guide your Zones safety and health professionals to ensure day to day specialist project support;
- Support the effectiveness of the consultative framework and communicate safety matters to management and staff as appropriate;
- Assist the Health & Safety Director to ensure the project has the tools to meet their regulatory and legal safety obligations;
- The ability to positively engage with project personnel and relevant Business Unit personnel;
- The ability to develop short, medium and long-term strategies that are well documented, communicated and implemented;
- Demonstrable Project delivery with greater than 10 years’ industry experience having held senior appointments;
- Good report writing skills with the ability to trend data and make recommendations to the Senior Leadership Team;
- Appropriate tertiary qualification(s), at the degree or masters level (or other evidence of professional/personal development).
- Qualifications in a relevant safety discipline;
- Knowledge of Safety and Health legislation and statutes, and ability to interpret any applicable statutes or legislation relevant to Project;
- Ability to lead high level investigations involving multiple internal and external parties;
- Quantitative and qualitative risk assessment and monitoring of risk controls and actions involved in delivery and implementation of projects;
- Extensive knowledge of Safety and Health Management Systems;
- Previous experience in a similar role on a large-scale civil construction project;
- Skills in monitoring, reviewing, investigative review techniques, reporting and continuous improvement on performance and compliance.