Sous chefs are a kitchen’s second-in-command. They supervise the restaurant’s cooks, prepare meals, and report results to the head chefs. In the absence of the head chef, sous chefs run the kitchen.
Sous Chef Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Sous Chef to join our team.
- Test and tasting of recipes;
- Continually ensures proper product execution in assigned section through control of mise en place during preparation and frequent tasting;
- Supervising and train other chefs and kitchen hands in the kitchen;
- Stock control, ordering and rotation;
- Support the day to day control of food production;
- Researching and developing recipes;
- Guide a team of Chefs across various outlets, including an upmarket Italian restaurant, to deliver accurate and efficient service;
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment;
- Ensuring the cleanliness of the kitchen area is in line with current health regulation standards;
- Assists the executive chef to lead & direct kitchen team, prepare staff rosters in the executive chef’s absence with the budget in mind;
- Verifies that kitchen equipment all meet health & safety standards and are consistently well-managed;
- Ensures the safe production of a quality product is maintained, without compromise, to our food safety guidelines;
- Available to work across any of the 7 days a week including nights, weekends and public holidays;
- Works with the executive chef to maintain kitchen organisation, staff ability, and training opportunities;
- Coordinates with the restaurant management team on supply ordering, budget and kitchen efficiency and staffing.
- Future career opportunities as you and Milieu hospitality grow;
- External training;
- Sound understanding of all current OHS, Hygiene & HACCP regulations;
- Ability to manage a large volume production schedule and team;
- Must be able to train a multicultural staff;
- Motivated, passionate and willing to learn new skills;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in cooking;
- Knowledge of sous vide preferred;
- Excellent hygiene skills and knowledge of all safe food handling procedures;
- Outstanding attention to details and communication skills;
- Must be an Australian Permanent Resident;
- 3+ years’ experience in a supervisory position; preferably in a multi-nationality setting;
- Possess a formal qualification in culinary arts from a recognized culinary training institution;
- Knowledge of various cooking techniques and their various outcomes;
- Certification from accredited advanced food safety program; Extensive knowledge of food safety and VSP.